Friday, August 13, 2010

Staring at a blank paper


By Mory Keita


I stare at a blank paper spreading beneath my pen,
As I ponder upon some lines of little meaning.
Just beside my pen lies another blank paper,
Staring at me with tears as if imploring my mercy,
 Or Waiting for some transforming drops of ink.

I pity it much, for though I would like to fulfill its wish,
My head is as blank as its surface, maybe blanker.
I vainly try to write some lines as a sign of generosity,
But what should I write? How should I begin?
I am not T.S Eliot or a Shakespeare; I am no genius.
I cannot paint on it lines worthy of remembrance,
neither do I wish to abandon it like some worthless junk.
Should I ignore its pleads and shamefully bow my head?
Is it my fault if I cannot write without muse? I know not.

I am not a writer; neither do I intend to become one.
But, as long as I feel a pen in my hand, an inner voice murmurs,
 “You may not be Shakespeare or T.S Eliot or do not wish to be,
But you will always have something to write as long as you believe.”

Now I look at the blank paper beside my pen, still staring at me,
And say to myself “if I have nothing  worthy to write,
I shall write what comes to my mind as long as I breathe.”
Thus, I took my pen and began writing these first lines.


Share/Bookmark

16 comments:

Claudia said...

i liked what you wrote without the muse kissing you..
i usually only start to search for a piece of paper or grab my notebook when the first line is already "written" in my head - and as soon as there is a first line, the paper's not empty any more...

Sam Liu said...

This is wonderful, Mory, very beautifully crafted. Writer's block affects us all, but your words flowed marvelously.

ZENDOM said...

I see total emptiness as I move about
The void holds all things within and without
Canvas becomes blank with no thoughts prevail
Think that because its bland that this would be stale
But you see when one has the thought and another is there
Cloudiness becomes of the being and is not well Aware
So from the start there is nothing really to see
Becoming in a total void and also blank is to be...
enjoy Mory(+)
Dom*:)

Mary said...

I have been there with writing sometime also, staring at a blank piece of paper or computer screen. You mentioned just taking your pen and writing the first line. Good point. After that first line often comes the flow....

brenda w said...

This is nice Mory. I like that you ended by starting. Well done.
~Brenda

Diane T said...

Mory, you are honest. I am glad you have that pen in hand and you are writing. I find 'bum glue' works for me. I can't get out of my chair until I write something, lol.

joanna said...

My words race around inside my mind, it is getting me to sit down with pen and paper long enough to write, sigh, the computer has been a big help I can get the words out faster by typing. But still the old pen and paper is my first choice.

Nice Mory, keep writing, you always have wonderful things to say.

Cheers,
Joanny

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this poem - especially "I shall write what comes to my mind as long as I breathe." YES! Because only Mory can see the world and interpret it through Mory's eyes and in Mory's unique voice:) Keep writing!

Dasuntoucha said...

Dig this piece...what I've come to realize over the years is that the only way to write is to write...enjoyed this read...very entertaining!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow,
what a honest but magical capture...
awesome job!

signed...bkm said...

that blank piece of paper at times can be your best friend...though when staring at it we never believe it...bkm

Rogue said...

Oh, but you ARE a writer Mory. Whether by choice; or in spite of yourself. Embrace your destiny! Upwards and onwards!

Anonymous said...

Excellent piece!

All we can do when the well runs dry is write, write, write. Nice poem.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Mory,
I really liked all your words, about this subject, since WE all have days and hours, where the words do not flow. Yet, just like you we keep trying and like you, we do find the words a little bit later.
Mory, without any doubt, you already are a writer!
Thank you for your kind message to me also.
Best wishes,
Eileen

Anonymous said...

"I shall write what comes to my mind as long as I breathe.”

Agreed totally!:D

Mory said...

thanks everyone. i have been busy very busy this week and hadn't had the chance to right as much as i would like.

Post a Comment

I would greatly appreciate and value your feedbacks.