Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Penelope --- A poem

By Mory Keita



-->
-->
A day without my love is a day without sunshine,
And a night spent without him is a starless night.
Sunsets and sunrises do but, like the sea, part us.
Stars shadow compared to his beauty and majesty,
Moon and sun, perched there above Olympus like clouds,
Envy our eternal happiness for all are but paltry jewelries.
Light and dark are but cruel illusion to compress our love.
Why should we abide by the laws of nature?
Why should we rest our love on these seashores?
A day without my love is eternity spent in solitude,
And night spent without him is like a barren horizon.

Fight my love, O my brave king, rage like wounded wind.
I shall wait for your return on every Ithacan seashore singing;
Singing with wounded wind songs of thou lost and return,
“O there he comes, there he stands, and there is my love,”
Fight my love like the wind, for thou heart art ageless.
O Olympians when shall thou return my love to my heart?
For like a falling star, my heart sinks into seas of sorrow.



Share/Bookmark

18 comments:

eyeography said...

Wow..nicely written...
loved reading it... :)

Tanvi said...

Beautiful lines Mory..... There is a new sense of freshness and maturity in your poems now... How did you manage?

Enjoyed reading!

Cheers,

Mory said...

well,i did not notice that Tanvi. well, i guess it is because of the change of location. thank you guys. I DON'T THINK I HAVE CHANGED AT ALL.

Caty said...

your writing always amazes me. Another great piece of work :)

Djene said...

welcome back Mory, nice poem

Ben said...

Nice. Was this influenced by the Valentine soliloquy in Two Gentlemen of Verona? The whole "What light is light if Sylvia be not by? What joy is joy if Sylvia be not there?"

Mory said...

I haven't read that soliloquy. so it really wasn't inspired by it. i was mostly inspired by the Tennyson Ulysses. i will have to read that poem.

flaubert said...

Mory,
Beautifully written poem and it is nice to see you back.
Pamela

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wonderfully rich, Mory - so nice to see you posting here again! I love the "wounded wind", the "singing with wounded wind songs".........you have such a gift with language - beautifully written!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Glad to see you back....
lovely sentiments.

Bubba said...

So, she loves orange juice? (LOL!)

This has a nice feel to it, like love poems of old. You feel her longing for (and loyalty to) her true love. Nice work, Mory!

Unknown said...

Your not a senior anymore. Your back to being a freshman!

Mory said...

Thank you everyone for your re-welcomes and your gracious comments. msn123ala, you are right,i am now a college freshman not a high school senior.

Carrie Van Horn said...

This is a powerful and lovely poem Mory...glad you are back...we missed you! :-)

Anonymous said...

welcome join our poetry community, a place poets share and encourage.
I signed in to follow your blog.

hope to see you share a poem with us at our potluck tonight.

8 hours before it is open from now.

cheers,
sign in to follow our blog to keep posted about our most recent update.

cheryl said...

So magical Mory.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

enjoyed your striking words.
lovely delivery of your emotions.
best regards.

A++

Anonymous said...

like a scene from the great old roman movies- love it! thank you for sharing this.. my potluck- http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/nectar-from-heaven/

Post a Comment

I would greatly appreciate and value your feedbacks.